Re: 1 OZ GIVEAWAY (TOP SHELF)! MEME CONTEST - Sponsored by The Prince's Private Reserve

realgrimm wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:46 pm great another PPR contest that requires you to have photoshop skills,wish these contests were for everyone and not just the art community

good luck all
Photopea is a free in browser Photoshop knockoff literally anyone can use to make a meme if they wanted, there's also downloadable freebies like Kritia, Paint Tool Sai, Gimp, and more. Stop whining, you know how I got the art skills that made it possible for me to be a professional artist today? Slapping text on things for forums. This is literally the first step to becoming part of the art community. No one here's making fine art, they put some funny picture with text. You need to know max four things to make a meme: how to make a new layer (generally achieved by clicking 'layer = new raster layer') how to use the marquee selection tool to select an area you want to cover up if you want to remove text from a previous meme (generally the tool is found under the shortcut A, it shows up as a dotted line box, if you right click on it you will get different options, pick the polyline one and then, click on the art in a few places to create the shape you want to make), and how to select the color to fill that new selection you made (usually achieved by holding down the ALT key while in the tool you'll be using, in this case 'fill' which both has an option in the menu to fill in everything you selected immediately, as well as a paint bucket in the side menu to switch to that tool for multiple uses).

Finally you'll need to put text on, either by making a white space and putting the text over top of that specific space, or ensuring the text has adequate contrast with its background. This is often done by giving the text a STROKE. In Photopea and Photoshop, this is done by clicking on the little 'fx' button in the layers panel, where you can assign special effects to the layer. You can also select the negative space around the text by using a different one of the selector tools: the magic wand. Uncheck 'continuous' so that it will pick up all incidences of blank space, and then click somewhere the text isn't on the text layer. Invert the selection and expand it, and on a layer underneath your text, fill it in with a color that's darker or lighter and significantly different in contrast to the text (though it does not also have to be different from the background). Generally people will do black text with a white stroke for a meme, or white text with a black stroke.

You can do all this with free programs, with literally no art skills. Look at these memes, do they look like high end art? Naw dawg, they're lawls quality, not artist quality. I should know. I am an artist and I wouldn't be one today if I hadn't begun by putting text on pictures and trying to give those pictures special effects for forums. I made hundreds of banners and avatars pre-meme to learn Photoshop skills. This is your opportunity today, by making memes, to get a little bit better at art skills.
Use my GanjaWest referral and I'll pet my cat in your honor.
(Cat petted chain modifier x4)