Facebook/Instagram contests

I was going to post this as a reply to the latest such contest, but I figured I'd make a post of my own. Sorry if this isn't the right section, the suggestion is to MOMs, not to the site itself, feel free to move it elsewhere. Also sorry for yet another rant, lol, but I think I'm spreading goodness and I definitely do it with the members of the site in mind :) TD;DR at the end, sorry for the wall of text.

So, I just wanted to thank all the MOMs who make an effort of making contests/draws without requiring us to share or like or whatever on social media. I use my real name on facebook, so my friends, family, co-workers, bosses and everyone in my small village can just find me there and learn stuff about me. Because of this, I try to be cautious about what I share on there and given that weed is illegal currently and even when it won't be, it will still carry a pretty strong stigma especially for work-related relations.

I was going to say it's unfair, but that's not even it, I think it's ridiculous that any MOM would ask us to share stuff about them on facebook or instagram. I totally understand why they do it, obviously they think they're going to get a return on the publicity this makes for them but IMHO, there's a much higher risk it will draw unwarranted attention more than sales. If my mother in law saw me share one of these contests on facebook, she'd be on the phone with the RCMP before even reading the end of the sentence.

Also, I'm on reddit, I have lots of stoner friends, I already recommended several MOM's I had good dealings with and I do it all the time, almost on a daily basis, so think of the guys who either don't have social media or don't want to share illegal and/or stigmatizing stuff on their social media. Whenever I saw other people complain about that they were told to create a fake account just for that... Doesn't that beat the purpose altogether?!

I'll finish this little rant with a BIG THANKS to the MOMs who go out of their way and make their contests open to anyone. I've seen more and more of these lately and I'm very happy to see it's a growing trend, you guys are the MVP's, keep it up.

TL;DR: Asking people to share on social media for a contest is ridiculous, thanks to MOMs who go out of their way to not do that.

Re: Facebook/Instagram contests

I hear you to an extent. I don't have a problem with a MOM having IG/FB contest, I just think they should use those platforms to announce the contests.

Alternatively, if the "Contests & giveaways" category could be broken into "canadianmom forum exclusive" and "miscellaneous social media" sub-categories it would be pretty sweet.

I can't believe someone is complaining about MOM contests and giveaways. If you don't want to meet a MOMs criteria for entering a contest then simply shelve your sense of entitlement and don't enter. Why should the rest of the community be dragged down by your personal situation? Create another facebook account that your mother in law doesn't know about and enter every single contest you can. Otherwise, stay fearful, paranoid, and oppressed in your own personal cannabis closet.
Sounds like you'll be in the closet long after legalization anyway...all I can say is time to grow a pair, and in the words of the late great Bob Marley, "get up, stand up...stand up for your rights".

I think you missed the point. This isn't about me, this is about the fact inciting people to share their weed usage on social media is irresponsible. A perfect example of this is how customs can ask to see your phone and social media accounts, and how the USA is threatening to deny access to Canadians that have any link to marijana usage even once it is legal. Is winning an OZ of weed worth a permaban from the USA? Do members on here realize the consequences participating in such contests can have on their future?

I honestly don't mind skipping on contests, it isn't about that.

xsinx wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:06 am I think you missed the point. This isn't about me, this is about the fact inciting people to share their weed usage on social media is irresponsible. A perfect example of this is how customs can ask to see your phone and social media accounts, and how the USA is threatening to deny access to Canadians that have any link to marijana usage even once it is legal. Is winning an OZ of weed worth a permaban from the USA? Do members on here realize the consequences participating in such contests can have on their future?

I honestly don't mind skipping on contests, it isn't about that.

Sorry bud, but your original post is truly all about you, your mother in law, and work. Now it's about customs and border. You're a member of this forum, this is social media? If asked will you truthfully admit this to customs officials when you leave the country? If you're so concerned with U.S. customs then why not simply make an anonymous facebook/instagram account like your "xsinx" username is here on CMOM to enter a contest?
If people are that dim witted to show up at a border crossing with media devices and open social media accounts with their real names complete with photos and addresses that are linked to cannabis use then that is truly their own stupidity.
If a customs official asks you if you've ever used cannabis, will you lie? Never mind social media observation and facebook posts, a simple admission when asked is enough to keep you out of the U.S.A?
What about all of your MOM purchases, wouldn't customs be able to pull all of that information from your online banking? I mean if you're crossing the border with your laptop and you're paranoid of being tracked, criminalized or persecuted for your personal cyber cannabis trail, then shouldn't you simply go back to the street instead of making any traceable online cannabis purchases or references at all?

alscotty wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:22 pmSorry bud, but your original post is truly all about you, your mother in law, and work. Now it's about customs and border. You're a member of this forum, this is social media? If asked will you truthfully admit this to customs officials when you leave the country? If you're so concerned with U.S. customs then why not simply make an anonymous facebook/instagram account like your "xsinx" username is here on CMOM to enter a contest?
If people are that dim witted to show up at a border crossing with media devices and open social media accounts with their real names complete with photos and addresses that are linked to cannabis use then that is truly their own stupidity.
If a customs official asks you if you've ever used cannabis, will you lie? Never mind social media observation and facebook posts, a simple admission when asked is enough to keep you out of the U.S.A?
What about all of your MOM purchases, wouldn't customs be able to pull all of that information from your online banking? I mean if you're crossing the border with your laptop and you're paranoid of being tracked, criminalized or persecuted for your personal cyber cannabis trail, then shouldn't you simply go back to the street instead of making any traceable online cannabis purchases or references at all?
What exactly did I ever say to make you go at me so emotionally charged? You're way over-reacting here, it's a simple suggestion and it wasn't made to you, but to the MOMs themselves. The information on my situation which I shared was for context, nothing more, nothing less.

dude, chill...not coming at you emotionally charged at all, just trying to clarify and understand what your problem is with online contests and anonymous facebook/instagram accounts, essentially I think you're the one over reacting to some of the MOMs contest criteria. I mean if you don't want to enter a social media contest for whatever reason then don't, but why complain about it?
Not totally related to MOM contests and giveaways but still relevant to the subject of identity verification, the one problem I have with some MOMs is in relation to "so-called" valid ID in lieu of a valid medical cannabis card...having to send your picture with name and address for age verification purposes at this point in the game is asking way too much.
As for facebook contests and instagram shit, it's your identity if you want it to be, and if it's on your device when you show up at the border then it's all yours wether you want it to be or not. Remember, customs can access all of your banking records "xsinx", including purchases made from MOMs. Furthermore, if you wanted to communicate your feelings directly with the MOMs you have a problem with then you should have posted directly and privately to them and not publicly in this forum to this community where someone like myself who happens to luv the MOM contests might happen to read and respond...cheers, peace and love, positive vibrations...may jah help to free you and those you hold dear from the oppression and lies that hold you down and prevent you from becoming your true self, unashamed and free, exposed for all to see...the herb is the truth and the light, jah rastafari

All good. About sending this to all MOMs I think we can both agree this would be a PITA. Like I said in my opening message I was going to post this as a reply to one such contest, but I decided to make a standalone post for all MOMs to see. This way I can just link them here when it happens :P

I think you absolutely right. On all points. Promoting on social media should be a choice, not a requirement. Alot of people think that it will be a free for all once lealized, but this is not at all true.

We all have a long way to go in changing the stigma behind Cannabis. With that point it should always be a choice. Plus i also think alot of people dont realize how intrusive social media can be. i keep all my account on lock.