Grinder issues - looking for suggestions. What's your current/favorite/dream grinder?

Good Evening Everyone,

I was cleaning out my 4-year-old clear-top Sharpstone and noticed that its clear acrylic top has begun to spider-web (see below!) I used isopropyl and bath salts, and I think it was the salts that could have caused the fractures. That, or I just didn't really stop to see them happen over the years.
Haven't been getting much love from reddit on this recently, so I thought I'd bug the pros in here. Should I chuck it, despite its solid structural integrity? The teeth where the fractures are occurring are still sturdy. Aside from this clear top, the Sharp Stone is as reliable as ever. The only risk that I run is the slight (if any) possibility that the acrylic breaks off into my ground weed for ingestion via joints/vaping.

If the consensus is to huck it, then what should I get next? I was thinking about grabbing a hard-top larger Sharpstone, but because I originally bought inexpensive weed stuff and grew to love it, I was thinking of getting a pricier brand known for their lifetime warranties. The big three that spring to mind are LIFT, Phoenician, Santa Cruz, and Space Case grinders. I'd ideally like to have a mid-sized 4-piece that's buy-it-for-life quality. If you made the investment on a big-ticket grinder, I'd love to hear about how it's been paying off for you. If not, let's discuss what you have, if you like it, and what you'd consider getting next!

Thanks,

Tangy

Re: Grinder issues - looking for suggestions. What's your current/favorite/dream grinder?

I have two four piece grinders, not brand name, but still they're solid tools and yeah I think they're worth it. I use my two piece for really powdery stuff though, that really clogs up the works. I use one fine hole and one wide hole for different types of bud. I would be concerned about breakage with yours but no need to break the bank, just grab a solid metal four piece.

Re: Grinder issues - looking for suggestions. What's your current/favorite/dream grinder?

Keyll wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:34 am I have two four piece grinders, not brand name, but still they're solid tools and yeah I think they're worth it. I use my two piece for really powdery stuff though, that really clogs up the works. I use one fine hole and one wide hole for different types of bud. I would be concerned about breakage with yours but no need to break the bank, just grab a solid metal four piece.
Thanks, Keyll! If they ain't broke, don't fix it. At least with two cheap ones you have variety. And, honestly, they're all meant to do the same thing. Sharpstone's are solid little units, but metals don't mix with acrylics when it comes to grinders.

Exactly. So I have 3 different grinders which all do slightly different tasks better than the other, but in the end their goal is still to reduce a bud to something smokable. A grinder is something I wouldn't get the cheapest possible option for, but I wouldn't go out of my way for a super high end one either. Yeah, my bro has a real nice hefty one.

I guess with yours my concern is just that slight little sprinkly bits of acrylic will end up mixed in your weed if it splinters at all, and that wouldn't be good.

I also have a few different grinders for different tasks like Keyll

However, out of all of them, I find that two I use the most are:
1. a crank 4-piece Zeuss grinder (not sure who it was OEM'd from)

2. an SLX 'non-stick' grinder, which I feel grinds the best, and is easiest to clean -- my only issue is that the kief screen in it is so fine that it doesn't allow much through which is why my fallback is the 4-piece

(also had Space Case and Sharpstone)

Do you have a head shop near you? Go see what grinders they have in stock. You'll get a better sense of build quality if you can pick it up and inspect it. I ended up with a SCS medium two-piece because it was much cheaper than the 3 or 4 piece. Don't know that I care too much about kief collection, just vape it with the rest of the flower, but I do wish I'd sprung for a 3-piece so that I don't have to keep emptying my grinder into the fold of a take-out menu to load my vape stem.

Vdubb wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:08 am Chuck it man 100%. The material will slowly fall into your weed. It’s not good to smoke that stuff. 98% of my weed is vaped, so I own a Zeus bolt 2 which was made to produce course grinded up flower solely for vaping. I’ve noticed a huge improvement in vape quality since I switched to a Zeus grinder.
That's what I figured. I copped a Phoenician and am not looking back. Keep up your awesome reviews. I wanted to get some WiFi OG in the CWF sale, but instead I opted for the Forum Cut GSC. Hope they don't disappoint.

tangylimeo wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:37 pm
Vdubb wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:08 am Chuck it man 100%. The material will slowly fall into your weed. It’s not good to smoke that stuff. 98% of my weed is vaped, so I own a Zeus bolt 2 which was made to produce course grinded up flower solely for vaping. I’ve noticed a huge improvement in vape quality since I switched to a Zeus grinder.
That's what I figured. I copped a Phoenician and am not looking back. Keep up your awesome reviews. I wanted to get some WiFi OG in the CWF sale, but instead I opted for the Forum Cut GSC. Hope they don't disappoint.

So I didn’t want to post this publicly before the sale cause I didn’t wanna hype up the sale anymore.. but the two winners were rockstar and fcgsc from what I was told by one of the owners. The rockstar was a super small batch from hubcity(same guys who make the death bubba) and this is what the owner had to say about fcgsc.

“Glad you like the strains we found. The FCGSC is literally my favourite strain and if I could all I wanna smoke. It’s gassy/fuel and makes a oil ring like no other, and tastes great start to finish and the high is great for all day and Will still knock you out at end of the day. “

When this guy recommends a batch it’s usually on point.. his standards are higher than mine and he’s always honest with me.. he’s flat out told me not to order a few strains before cause he thinks they wouldn’t fit my medical needs.

Guess what I’m trying to say is you’ll most likely really enjoy your fcgsc:). Although the wifi is a very nice hybrid, I really like it. Hopefully they get our fcgsc packages shipped out today... the website said either Wednesday or Thursday.

I actually use a 3 piece with a hand crank I got at a dollar store for $11.00. I took the screen out as I prefer my kief with my weed. It works great for grinding on the go or smaller amounts. I just got a two piece for free from the Friendly Stranger in TO with an order of papers and cones which looks pretty good. But what I generally use is a small food processor I picked up for a couple of bucks at a value village. I tend to order ounces so I through the whole ounce in at once and give it a good wazz up (but not too much to powder it). and put it in a vacu locked container to keep fresh.