**NEW POSTING GUIDLINES STARTING OCT 1ST. **

*Posts in this section are user generated only, MoM's can comment on posts made but may not start post themselves.
*Posts MUST contain at least 1 photo of the product being reviewed.
*Posts MUST be thorough enough to offer others some context of the products. 1-2 line reviews may be removed at the admins discretion.

[Sticky] In response to the recent low-effort reviews, we're looking to get stricter on review requirements.. feedback?

Hi all,

Looking for some feedback on how to improve this sub-forum.

Firstly, should we go back to making the Review Template obligatory? The downside is that this may decrease post a little, but will drastically increase the overall post quality?

We've added a rule that images are now 100% obligatory for ALL reviews. Any other rules that we should add to overall improve reviews here?

Cheers,
Capt / Mod team

Re: [Sticky] In response to the recent low-effort reviews, we're looking to get stricter on review requirements.. feedba

xsinx wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:10 am I would make the template mandatory, but go for a moderate application. If the review covers the basics in their own form, include images and is generally useful, I'd let them be. I feel this is how it was done before and that's how I was moderating it when I was doing that job
Sounds very fair to me, I think we'll try precisely that for a bit. I'll wait and see if any other users would like to provide their own feedback about this too.

Re: [Sticky] In response to the recent low-effort reviews, we're looking to get stricter on review requirements.. feedba

The General Review Template + Strain Review Template should be a standard guideline when it comes to review. It's a quick way for the community to scan for information without having to read paragraphs. Photos should be mandatory as visuals of the products are key when it comes to judging a product. But I think you've nailed it with the template as it should provide enough information about the MOM/Strains.

xsinx wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:10 am I would make the template mandatory, but go for a moderate application. If the review covers the basics in their own form, include images and is generally useful, I'd let them be. I feel this is how it was done before and that's how I was moderating it when I was doing that job
Sounds good to me at least. Some things like the strain fidelity aren't easy to assess in some situations. For example, if you are trying a strain for the first time, you won't be able to compare it to other times you've had that strain.
Also, being strict with the 1-10 rating on things like smoothness of hits is weird. I know that, at least, I'm more prone to choke on a little hit if my throat is dry/I've just taken a huge rip and I'm almost coughing but I still go in for another.
Even striving to be objective as much as possible fails sometimes. I'm an edge case but rating the taste complexity can be hard because of my synesthesia. Tastes are just inherently more complex to me because they have associated colours. How am I supposed to rate complexity on a 1-10 scale when "purple with wisps of yellow cutting in" is not a number? Sorry for rant, I just see a strict application of the review template would be hard to implement and exclude a lot of cases.

mmdesolate99 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:20 am
Sounds good to me at least. Some things like the strain fidelity aren't easy to assess in some situations. For example, if you are trying a strain for the first time, you won't be able to compare it to other times you've had that strain.
Also, being strict with the 1-10 rating on things like smoothness of hits is weird. I know that, at least, I'm more prone to choke on a little hit if my throat is dry/I've just taken a huge rip and I'm almost coughing but I still go in for another.
Even striving to be objective as much as possible fails sometimes. I'm an edge case but rating the taste complexity can be hard because of my synesthesia. Tastes are just inherently more complex to me because they have associated colours. How am I supposed to rate complexity on a 1-10 scale when "purple with wisps of yellow cutting in" is not a number? Sorry for rant, I just see a strict application of the review template would be hard to implement and exclude a lot of cases.
The comment you were replying to was about the general template, not the strain template.

That said you have great points. The strain fidelity example, just like any other review point is optional. If you don't know how to answer or aren't confident in your ability to do so, simply comment as such and don't put a score. Same applies to the taste complexity point.

I would imagine seeing flavors while smoking weed sometimes results in a rainbow while in other situations it's a plain color, you can definitely get a sense of how you feel that strain is on a scale of 1-10 based on past experiences?

In any case my strain template is casual and flexible. If you don't feel like scoring anything and just commenting go for it.

xsinx wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:45 am
mmdesolate99 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:20 am
The comment you were replying to was about the general template, not the strain template.

That said you have great points. The strain fidelity example, just like any other review point is optional. If you don't know how to answer or aren't confident in your ability to do so, simply comment as such and don't put a score. Same applies to the taste complexity point.

I would imagine seeing flavors while smoking weed sometimes results in a rainbow while in other situations it's a plain color, you can definitely get a sense of how you feel that strain is on a scale of 1-10 based on past experiences?

In any case my strain template is casual and flexible. If you don't feel like scoring anything and just commenting go for it.
Thanks. I'm actually writing a review of some strains right now. I've decided to score what I can and try to comment on all aspects that I can (aka not strain fidelity because all of these strains are new to me). Sometimes I feel kind of inadequate because I only started consuming cannabis in 2019 and am not an expert in any way.

mmdesolate99 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:00 am Thanks. I'm actually writing a review of some strains right now. I've decided to score what I can and try to comment on all aspects that I can (aka not strain fidelity because all of these strains are new to me). Sometimes I feel kind of inadequate because I only started consuming cannabis in 2019 and am not an expert in any way.
I've been smoking for 30+ years but it's only recently that I discovered MOMs. Most of the time before then it was hard to get a strain name, let alone chose between many of them so when I started doing reviews I was just as lost. Go with how you feel, stay true to yourself and that's all that matters in the end. You need to set emotions aside when rating weed :)

xsinx wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:43 am
mmdesolate99 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:00 am Thanks. I'm actually writing a review of some strains right now. I've decided to score what I can and try to comment on all aspects that I can (aka not strain fidelity because all of these strains are new to me). Sometimes I feel kind of inadequate because I only started consuming cannabis in 2019 and am not an expert in any way.
I've been smoking for 30+ years but it's only recently that I discovered MOMs. Most of the time before then it was hard to get a strain name, let alone chose between many of them so when I started doing reviews I was just as lost. Go with how you feel, stay true to yourself and that's all that matters in the end. You need to set emotions aside when rating weed :)
Hell yeah. I'm not lost on the choice of strains as I've always been smoking in this varied world, I'm just not that good at telling what's "the best" because I've never splurged on any of the stuff people here say is "the best". I'm afraid of over-rating because I've only smoked anything rated as quads once in my life.