How the MOM list works and how reliable?

I notice a newer mom is on the established list and a mom that's older is on the new mom list. Also, a mom that is out of business now is on the new mom list. So, I find it pretty hard to tell anything from the list other than getting a name and location, maybe some contact info and then i have to search their name for topics and reviews. I would find it helpful if there was a date beside the mom when they were established. I feel that the older the mom, the more one is guaranteed a certain level of quality. Also to group everything in one, is this forum better than reddit for reviews? Seems like a better variety of info here. Anyone with insight on the list or any comment on anything, thanks.

Re: How the MOM list works and how reliable?

AdamSTW wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:42 amI notice a newer mom is on the established list and a mom that's older is on the new mom list.
1. The list is updated sporadically, when either users or MOMs report a change should be made. There is no "active" reviewing of it, so if a MOM goes out of business and nobody ever reports it, it's going to be on the list indefinitely. It's a community resource, based on community input, if the community just wants to read it, well the quality of the data will suffer.

2. MOM status (new vs established) are in relation to their addition to the list, as opposed to the MOM's launch date. A MOM that has been open 10 years that was never on the list and shows up to be on it will be entered as a "New" MOM until enough time has passed and enough reviews have been done for it to be upgraded to established. This is why some relatively new MOMs can be established and other long standing MOMs can remain "new" for a long time.

3. Reddit vs here for reviews is up to you. I personally prefer the format here because cmom's review thread is IMHO a huge unreadable mess and mompics is usually very succinct, it's more about pics than reviews or used as such anyway. I post all my reviews here and I'll sometimes post pics on mompics with a link to the review here. I usually only do that if the products are photogenic enough or worth sharing at the very least.

Hope that helps.

xsinx wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:46 pm
AdamSTW wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:42 amI notice a newer mom is on the established list and a mom that's older is on the new mom list.
1. The list is updated sporadically, when either users or MOMs report a change should be made. There is no "active" reviewing of it, so if a MOM goes out of business and nobody ever reports it, it's going to be on the list indefinitely. It's a community resource, based on community input, if the community just wants to read it, well the quality of the data will suffer.

2. MOM status (new vs established) are in relation to their addition to the list, as opposed to the MOM's launch date. A MOM that has been open 10 years that was never on the list and shows up to be on it will be entered as a "New" MOM until enough time has passed and enough reviews have been done for it to be upgraded to established. This is why some relatively new MOMs can be established and other long standing MOMs can remain "new" for a long time.

3. Reddit vs here for reviews is up to you. I personally prefer the format here because cmom's review thread is IMHO a huge unreadable mess and mompics is usually very succinct, it's more about pics than reviews or used as such anyway. I post all my reviews here and I'll sometimes post pics on mompics with a link to the review here. I usually only do that if the products are photogenic enough or worth sharing at the very least.

Hope that helps.
Thank you so much for this very detailed answer. I do agree about the messiness of the megathread and much prefer the ease of searching here. I also like that theres more moms here being active and posting stuff.

Hi, just wanted to weigh in as administrator and curator of the MOMList.
I notice a newer mom is on the established list and a mom that's older is on the new mom list.
Xsinx covered most of it (thanks!), but I'll just add a few things. When a MOM first joins the community, they are automatically added to our New MOM section. From there, they need 8 reviews from trusted members, as well as 8 weeks of experience in the community. I ask that they contact me once they've received their 8 reviews so I can update their status. Sometimes, a new MOM gets 8 reviews very quickly and gets Established rank 8 weeks later (as fast as possible). Other new MOMs will gain reviews more slowly, and may take up to 6 months to receive 8 reviews. Alternatively, they may not think to reach out to ask for the promotion, so they stay in New MOM status for longer than needed.

If you would like to help a New MOM get Established, you can do one of two things. You can 1) write reviews for them to get them their 8 needed reviews or 2) if they've received 8 reviews, feel free to reach out to an admin to suggest a promotion for them. Unfortunately, like Sin said, we can't constantly be checking every New MOM, so we have to wait for either them or a user to reach out.
Also, a mom that is out of business now is on the new mom list.
Which MOM? We have an "out of business" section at the bottom of the list, and we put the MOMs there as soon as we are made aware. I'll put them there immediately. By reporting this to an admin, you are directly contributing to the improvement of the list. The best thing you can do is let me know anytime you notice a flaw, and I will fix it.

Hope this helps, and don't hesitate if you have any other questions.

Thank you for that reply. I understand completely now and it all makes sense. I do still wish for an established or launch date of each mom. Like you say, the reviews could come quick and 8 weeks later, legit on the established list, which I do believe carries some weight. The mom that closed is 3treescannabis. I went to their site and found out. Edit: is it only reviews done here on the forum and not reddit?

Thanks! 3treescannabis has been moved to the "Out of Business" section at the bottom.
AdamSTW wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:30 pm is it only reviews done here on the forum and not reddit?
What do you mean by that? The forum isn't just for reviews, if that's what you're asking. In the General section, you can post anything such as questions, requests for info or even articles - as long as it's relevant to mail order marijuana. There's a couple subsections where MOMs can post pics and promotions. There's also an off-topic section, etc.