MOM vs Dispensary Weed?

Obviously this forum is built around MOMs: MOMs have basically filled a hole in the market (in terms of price, value, quality, and availability etc.) that the government was not able to. However, prices have gone down in the regulated market and quality has improved, at least in my experience. I still prefer the selection and option to bulk up that MOMs offer, but do you think the legal market is catching up? Obviously the taxes are a killer, but do some people feel more reassured by the regulation (especially with edibles and concentrates)? Of course the good MOMs have high standards for quality, but isn’t it worrying that someone might stumble upon a sketchy MOM to buy edibles (because the legal max is 10mg per package) and end up with some chemical sprayed chocolate. The government regulation is still excessive, but I feel that a greater proportion of users can be satisfied with what dispensaries offer than before?

Re: MOM vs Dispensary Weed?

Shadil wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:16 pm Obviously this forum is built around MOMs: MOMs have basically filled a hole in the market (in terms of price, value, quality, and availability etc.) that the government was not able to. However, prices have gone down in the regulated market and quality has improved, at least in my experience. I still prefer the selection and option to bulk up that MOMs offer, but do you think the legal market is catching up? Obviously the taxes are a killer, but do some people feel more reassured by the regulation (especially with edibles and concentrates)? Of course the good MOMs have high standards for quality, but isn’t it worrying that someone might stumble upon a sketchy MOM to buy edibles (because the legal max is 10mg per package) and end up with some chemical sprayed chocolate. The government regulation is still excessive, but I feel that a greater proportion of users can be satisfied with what dispensaries offer than before?
Is it better than it once was? Yes. Is it good enough to satisfy people who have been smoking every day for years? No. OCS sweet spot seems to be just shy of $10/g, Redecan Wappa isn't half bad considering I picked up a HQ for like $28 but even then I would really only do it if I couldn't wait to order MOM. I just grabbed a $53 HQ on my birthday because I had nothing else to smoke, it wasn't terrible but it wasn't good either and for that price I was expecting to be blown away.. I guess when stores have $76 HQ's listed your not going to be impressed with a $53 one. Fuck OCS.

Probably I am biased, but you can't buy an edible legally that has any potency at all. 10mg/max per unit? Some places only 5mg? That's almost insulting to medical users especially the prices. Consider an average medical dose is 300-1000mg. How many 10mg gummies @ $5/ea can a person afford from your local licensed government store.
I have never heard of any contaminated edibles personally.
Big fan of the Amnesia 1000mg gummies!

I buy all my carts legally. Too many bad experiences with BM carts. Recommend Foray & Hexo on OCS. Daily special is a decent deal.

Weed wise there are some decent AA+ stuff in the $120 ounce range legally but high end there is no comparison black market wins. What I pay for an Enigma Extracts ounce will get me a AAA legal ounce. You want a Broken Coast ounce legally it's $400.

Concentrates and edibles slam dunk black market still leads by far. You will go broke or go into a diabetic shock trying to get high on OCS edibles and concentrate prices are still crazy.

The legal market has a problem it cannot get around. With the amount of regulation involved, they simply cannot compete with the black market. Not only that but their objectives are competing themselves, they both want to fight the black market and make weed super safe. The core of the black market buyers are big consumers, so retail prices don't work for them, we are talking about people buying quarter pounds and up at prices that the gov cannot even offer and often at a quality that the government doesn't even touch with their priciest products. Edibles limit at 10mg is an absolute joke, they want to protect the children.... Meanwhile, you can have strong barbiturates in your pharmacy and nobody bats an eye. 10mg for most people doesn't even register a buzz or effect at all, what are we supposed to do, gobble 200$ of product for a feeling and get diabetes in the process?

I personally do not like the fact they irradiate product, it's to me way way way overkill and unneccessary and definitely reduces the safety and value of products in my mind.

Overall, the whole thing is a fiasco. They need to deregulate and focus on having bio safe weed without requiring a military grade secured facility and actually realzie it's just a fucking plant. It should be absolutely legal to grow weed in an open field like any other plant. They should focus on preventing use of dangerous growth/protective products that can contaminate the end product (I keep hearing a lot of dangerous products are allowed for LP use), just make sure the product is safe for people to use.

Kids safety is a retail store and a end buyer responsibility, not a government reponsability. We need to educate the general pop, not sugar coat it.

I'm in Quebec which has the cheapest gov weed by a large margin and I still consider the price/value of MOMs to be 2-3x what the gov options are. The prices are still shit, the quality in most cases is laughable, it's all a huge joke to anyone who knows anything about weed.

Meanwhile the black market is stronger than ever....

I think it really depends on the situation. They both fill a slightly different role. If I need it quick, I usually just pop down to my local dispensary and grab something quick even though its a bit pricey. The convenience factor is worth the premium. On the flip side, I am able to access way more variety in edibles from online and also just buying bulk for cheap is very cost effective.

I'm in NS, and I was buying from the NSLC for a few months, when I moved from Halifax to the country, and knew nobody to get weed from; there were no black market dispensaries here, like there still are, even now, in Halifax, to go and buy weed from. Constitutionally, I'm not big on authority, or the government, and wish to avoid giving them a red cent I don't need to, if at all possible, which is what led me to eventually trying MOMs. In my opinion, the only thing the government "dispensaries" have going for them is reliability. If you buy weed x from supplier y, the weed is going to be essentially indistinguishable when you come in 9 months later and buy it again; in my experiences with both MOMs and black market dispensaries, this isn't always the case, often because sources change, and/or growers change the strains they grow. Otherwise, the regulated weed is, in almost all cases, vastly overpriced, ALWAYS bone dry, usually underweight (something I do not understand), and, in all but the handful of cases (at least here) where you have a THC percentage above 25%, mediocre. And, it's the same handfull of strains, sort of rotating with crops coming off, over and over and over again, with seemingly not much more variety in choices than between Pepsi and Coke, and Cheap-Ass Cola. Perhaps it's different in other provinces, but this is what I've seen, here, although I have to admit I haven't stepped into an NSLC in almost a year. For me, the bottom line is I don't like authority, I don't like supporting a pack of rich, deceitful fools who waste taxpayers' money on frivolity and ineffective practices (not to mention all their perks and wonderful pension plans) with money I don't need to give them, for providing a "service" (because from them, it ain't much of a service) that they have, in my opinion, no right to be telling everyone they have the right to provide - especially on a monopolistic basis - and, as long as there is a black market worth buying from, and/or a localish swamp fairly easily accessed, but relatively hidden, and totally untrodden by people (and hopefully by deer), I will not spend another penny in a government dispensary.