How important is free shipping?

With our site, I decided to not mark up the products, just to give free shipping after a certain dollar amount of a purchase has been reached.

I'm a math guy. At the end of the day, it's really the landed price per gram a long with the quality that really matters.

We have plenty of $99 oz options that are of a middle grade, if not better @ $99 oz. We add $19.95 shipping Express Post and your oz lands @ $4.25/g. We also add in free supplies with every order that meets the $99 minimum (Jury is still out on how much people really care about these but they are god ones).

My question is: Do I look at the the possibility of changing that structure? Is it smarter to ask for more for the product but then offer free shipping?

I'm a touch worried that potential buyers will not do the math. I'm worried that the "Free Shipping" will entice orders, when at the end of the day, their price per gram will be more if not way more than from us.

We're new and still learning.

If you are a consumer, when it comes to shipping charges, can you give me your opinion on what matters the most?

kingtuts.ca

Re: How important is free shipping?

I don't usually look for free shipping when shopping in the budget oz range because I'm only going to spend $100 or so and most don't offer it around that price.

With your site layout leaning more towards budget prices, maybe $200 for free shipping would entice people to order 2oz with some add ons. I don't miss free shipping when only spending 100-120.

I agree about taxes though. Nobody likes taxes added on at checkout.

If your customers are more likely to purchase smaller quantities like 1 oz at a time I would suggest lowering shipping as much as possible, even if you need to add a few dollars to the price. It looks better. $100 all in looks way better than $80 plus $20 shipping. Yeah, it's the same price in the end but the $80 weed just feels like it would be lower quality. I know first hand because my first ever MOM order I passed on a super cheap oz ($75 plus $20 shipping) that maybe I would've purchased if it was listed at $95. I was on the lookout for super cheap stuff but I got some for just over $100 total because it was listed higher.

If your customers mostly buy bulk then higher prices might turn them away.

I'd say the average policy is $15 shipping below $150, free over $150.

Thanks for all the responses. If you keep us in mind as we move forward, you will see changes as we go. We will always listen to the market and adjust accordingly. I did ask our web guys to show the shipping charge in the cart, not just the checkout, as that's definitely a surprise that I don't like customers to see at that point. We can not show shipping in the cart with our platform. I have to mention that just because we price many of our products at $99 MANY other sites have them set at a much higher price and its the EXACT same product. This is a fact. If you read bio of why and how we got started, you will understand why. I guess the bottom line is, the profit margin is not big. We promote larger orders that bring in a lower margin. Express post on every order as well. We also do our very best to get the order out the same day.

I hope all of that is taken into consideration when surprised with the shopping charge.

Thats our policy today. Who knows in a weeks time. I love to do market research and ask questions. Things will change as we go, maybe shipping charges will as well.

If you feel that you are being taken advantage of by our shipping charge, please send me an email and I'll make sure you dont feel that way before you place your order. Relationships are what we are building here.

Please feel free to contact us about anything at all.

I very much would prefer the flat rate shipping, possibly with a free shipping over $x-amount option. Factoring the whole shipping cost into orders based on a single-ounce order, just means that anyone that orders more than 1 ounce at a time is now paying an extra shipping charge for every extra oz they purchase. Not an incentive for anyone to make more than a 1 oz order at a time, and actually would discourage me from ordering here vs a place with either a flat rate charge, or a free-after-$x-amount shipping option.

anxiyeti wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:12 pm I very much would prefer the flat rate shipping, possibly with a free shipping over $x-amount option. Factoring the whole shipping cost into orders based on a single-ounce order, just means that anyone that orders more than 1 ounce at a time is now paying an extra shipping charge for every extra oz they purchase. Not an incentive for anyone to make more than a 1 oz order at a time, and actually would discourage me from ordering here vs a place with either a flat rate charge, or a free-after-$x-amount shipping option.
Ours is set up simply as a Flat Rate charge right now. I dunno, I'm just a math guy, how things look to me vs. how things add up to me is a no brainer. The final number divided by grams, milliliters, ounces... is the most important.

I just don't feel good about myself or how the company would operate if we marked things up, just to offer a discount or free shipping at a certain $ amount.

Let's quickly do some math here :)

$99 oz (At the moment we have 5 of them offered and we are proud and stand behind every one of them)
$19.95 Shipping
1 oz = $118.95 = $4.25.gr
2 oz = $217.95 = $3.89/gr
3 oz = $316.95 = $3.77/gr

You know, I get these "FLASH SALES", as I make sure I'm connected with my competitors. Their flash sales usually START @ $5 a gram. When I say start, that's their least expensive product on their FLASH SALE. Pricing goes up from there.

SO, Do I say Efff my ethics? Pump up the price to the consumers by $20 - $30 an oz? Offer free freight after $198 or $200 When in reality, you're paying $20 - $40 more, even after the free shipping?

I dunno. I believe in hard work, being transparent, doing what I believe to be right. I will let the chips fall where they may. IF I ever do decide to offer free freight, I will not offer it to be flashy and create a false sense of a "deal" I might add $10-15 an oz, so it works out similar at the end.

There's not gonna be bright lights, flashing sirens, a Mega Phone a bunch of !!!!!!!!! exclamation marks.

Our customers will simply get more than they paid for, always. If they do not feel they are, something will change with us to make it that way. After an order, I will NEVER feel "I got that sucker". Again, I will simply hope that they feel they got more than they paid for. I mean, expectations on a $4.25 - $3.77 gram can't be that high, can it? Let's hope it's a pleasant surprise!

As far as competition goes, I love it! The cream always rises to the top. We're going to try and be creamy in an honest way :)

Long winded but I'm excited and I love business and this industry haha

Weezer wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:49 pm Don’t know what I’m doing wrong but I can’t find your site!
Weird, kingtuts.ca

I have a friend that has a browser that auto corrects to kingtits.ca.... Probable because he's a bit of a perv haha.

IF there is a Canada Post Strike, we will still be shipping out orders. There will be no need to worry and you will still be able to track your order, as usual. We're working on the shipping rates as we speak. Might have to bump up the rate a bit to reflect our new cost but I'm sure you will still find our pricing to be very competitive.

We will still be less than 50% cheaper than any walk in Dispensary.

I have read a few posts on people being worried about the strike If you still are, you can PM me or give us a call. We can let you know what our plan of action is and hopefully set your mind at ease.

If there is a strike...

King Tuts wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:02 pm
anxiyeti wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:12 pm I very much would prefer the flat rate shipping, possibly with a free shipping over $x-amount option. Factoring the whole shipping cost into orders based on a single-ounce order, just means that anyone that orders more than 1 ounce at a time is now paying an extra shipping charge for every extra oz they purchase. Not an incentive for anyone to make more than a 1 oz order at a time, and actually would discourage me from ordering here vs a place with either a flat rate charge, or a free-after-$x-amount shipping option.
Ours is set up simply as a Flat Rate charge right now. I dunno, I'm just a math guy, how things look to me vs. how things add up to me is a no brainer. The final number divided by grams, milliliters, ounces... is the most important.

I just don't feel good about myself or how the company would operate if we marked things up, just to offer a discount or free shipping at a certain $ amount.

$99 oz (At the moment we have 5 of them offered and we are proud and stand behind every one of them)
$19.95 Shipping

You know, I get these "FLASH SALES", as I make sure I'm connected with my competitors. Their flash sales usually START @ $5 a gram. When I say start, that's their least expensive product on their FLASH SALE. Pricing goes up from there.

SO, Do I say Efff my ethics? Pump up the price to the consumers by $20 - $30 an oz? Offer free freight after $198 or $200 When in reality, you're paying $20 - $40 more, even after the free shipping?

I dunno. I believe in hard work, being transparent, doing what I believe to be right. I will let the chips fall where they may. IF I ever do decide to offer free freight, I will not offer it to be flashy and create a false sense of a "deal" I might add $10-15 an oz, so it works out similar at the end.

There's not gonna be bright lights, flashing sirens, a Mega Phone a bunch of !!!!!!!!! exclamation marks.

Our customers will simply get more than they paid for, always. If they do not feel they are, something will change with us to make it that way. After an order, I will NEVER feel "I got that sucker". Again, I will simply hope that they feel they got more than they paid for. I mean, expectations on a $4.25 - $3.77 gram can't be that high, can it? Let's hope it's a pleasant surprise!

As far as competition goes, I love it! The cream always rises to the top. We're going to try and be creamy in an honest way :)

I'm sure your company is great and everything but every MOM and their son has a $99 ounce, and most of them have a free shipping threshold. The price differences regarding free or paid shipping mentioned here is just you comparing yourself to yourself.

You: 2 ounces $198 + $19.95 = $217.95 = $3.89/gram

Others: 2 ounces $198 + $0 = $198 = $3.54/gram

Sounds to me you better hope people don't look at total price per gram. I think the issue is on your end not being able to lower costs enough while other MOMs can. That extra $10, $20, $30 or whatever per ounce extra you speak of is nowhere to be found. Price how you want but don't act like you're doing everyone a favour.

urnapple wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:55 pm

$19.95 Shipping

I'm sure your company is great and everything but every MOM and their son has a $99 ounce, and most of them have a free shipping threshold. The price differences regarding free or paid shipping mentioned here is just you comparing yourself to yourself.

Sounds to me you better hope people don't look at total price per gram. I think the issue is on your end not being able to lower costs enough while other MOMs can. That extra $10, $20, $30 or whatever per ounce extra you speak of is nowhere to be found. Price how you want but don't act like you're doing everyone a favour.
As far as a favor goes, I think we would need to compare the products price, a long with quality to really determine what a deal is and what isn't. I've mentioned it before, the same products we have for sale for $99, I have personally stocked shelves for other companies and sold to competitors that post and sell them online for much more. I'd like to think that we have quality, as well as some good deals. At the end of the day, I did my best to get as many products I could in the hands of the members here to make a decision on their own. That's the absolute best way to know what's a deal and what isn't. I'm sure we can agree on that.

Were you a member that gave us an opportunity?

I love the fact that you're a math guy though :)

King Tuts wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:25 am

$19.95 Shipping

As far as a favor goes, I think we would need to compare the products price, a long with quality to really determine what a deal is and what isn't. I've mentioned it before, the same products we have for sale for $99, I have personally stocked shelves for other companies and sold to competitors that post and sell them online for much more. I'd like to think that we have quality, as well as some good deals. At the end of the day, I did my best to get as many products I could in the hands of the members here to make a decision on their own. That's the absolute best way to know what's a deal and what isn't. I'm sure we can agree on that.

Your products have been decent in the $99 range, but certainly not *better* than the competition. I can go to JJMeds and grab $99oz of better quality, with free shipping over 250 and a loyalty points program.

You offer a free gift and papers, which is great, but I feel like people would rather see a free shipping threshold and maybe even a loyalty points program. I usually use my points on JJM to go towards shipping costs as I rarely order $250 worth of product.

You asked for feedback and we're telling you how we feel.

BurgerNFries wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:55 am

Your products have been decent in the $99 range, but certainly not *better* than the competition. I can go to JJMeds and grab $99oz of better quality, with free shipping over 250 and a loyalty points program.

You offer a free gift and papers, which is great, but I feel like people would rather see a free shipping threshold and maybe even a loyalty points program. I usually use my points on JJM to go towards shipping costs as I rarely order $250 worth of product.

Yes but to get free shipping from jjmeds you can't just buy 2 oz @99$as the total is not high enough for free shipping.

And they got, what? One oz@99 from time to time. So you will need to buy a $150ish zip with a 99$zip for free shipping. Is this a better deal total dollar wise compared to KT?

No.

I will agree kt has good but not better, let's be fair here, some of the strains were good but this is also based on the price. I don't think the 99oz@kt would sell for 150. @$99 i will put up with slight "off's" like lack of smell or whatnot.

But.... Still really good and value wise and KT is on top in this department for good but not top trips.

I love the feedback! It's to now make all the major decisions for a company, so nothing is set in stone. Hence, asking how important free shipping is. I like the fact that you have mentioned loyalty reward points, as we have some pretty big plans moving forward on a new large online scale.

I'm gonna take a good look at the set up we have now, maybe make a change or 2.

It's all quite new to us and what is important is what the people say.

In the mean time us MEMPHIS as a promo code for free shipping :)

2gr/day wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:25 pm

Yes but to get free shipping from jjmeds you can't just buy 2 oz @99$as the total is not high enough for free shipping.

And they got, what? One oz@99 from time to time. So you will need to buy a $150ish zip with a 99$zip for free shipping. Is this a better deal total dollar wise compared to KT?

No.

I will agree kt has good but not better, let's be fair here, some of the strains were good but this is also based on the price. I don't think the 99oz@kt would sell for 150. @$99 i will put up with slight "off's" like lack of smell or whatnot.

But.... Still really good and value wise and KT is on top in this department for good but not top trips.
Sorry if I came off as rude. I'm just a very matter of fact person and I can be blunt sometimes, so apologies there.

No, you can't buy 2oz of $99 from JJM and get free shipping, but that's not what I said. From a business standpoint, it's always a good idea to try to get your customers to buy more, even if you absorb some of that in free shipping.

Even with a free shipping threshold like JJM, KT has strains around the $150 mark as far as I know so that model would work as well, even shopping in the gifts section to make up the difference would be fine, and probably profitable for KT as I doubt that stuff costs them much money. I personally constantly find myself looking for other products I've never tried before to make up the difference for free shipping on every site I use. I'll add 1/4 of this strain, maybe a gram of hash, etc... I know I'm probably spending more than if I just paid for shipping, but my brain wants that free shipping to be absorbed in products I can smoke and not money I pay for shipping.

JJM wasn't the best example because they don't have many lower priced items to tack on for free shipping, but they are my favorite mom for budget oz so I used them as an example as I keep going back to them for some reason. Loyalty points make a huge difference there. Bcmedi would be a better example. I buy hash from them, but I always add on some Phoenix tears for free xpresspost.

KT, thanks for the mangobiche🙂 Violator looks nice as well, haven't smoked it yet.

King Tuts wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:46 pm

I love the feedback! It's to now make all the major decisions for a company, so nothing is set in stone. Hence, asking how important free shipping is. I like the fact that you have mentioned loyalty reward points, as we have some pretty big plans moving forward on a new large online scale.

I'm gonna take a good look at the set up we have now, maybe make a change or 2.

It's all quite new to us and what is important is what the people say.

In the mean time us MEMPHIS as a promo code for free shipping :)
I wish I had that code last week 😅

BurgerNFries wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:10 pm
2gr/day wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:25 pm

No.

Sorry if I came off as rude. I'm just a very matter of fact person and I can be blunt sometimes, so apologies there.

No, you can't buy 2oz of $99 from JJM and get free shipping, but that's not what I said. From a business standpoint, it's always a good idea to try to get your customers to buy more, even if you absorb some of that in free shipping.

Even with a free shipping threshold like JJM, KT has strains around the $150 mark as far as I know so that model would work as well, even shopping in the gifts section to make up the difference would be fine, and probably profitable for KT as I doubt that stuff costs them much money. I personally constantly find myself looking for other products I've never tried before to make up the difference for free shipping on every site I use. I'll add 1/4 of this strain, maybe a gram of hash, etc... I know I'm probably spending more than if I just paid for shipping, but my brain wants that free shipping to be absorbed in products I can smoke and not money I pay for shipping.

JJM wasn't the best example because they don't have many lower priced items to tack on for free shipping, but they are my favorite mom for budget oz so I used them as an example as I keep going back to them for some reason. Loyalty points make a huge difference there. Bcmedi would be a better example. I buy hash from them, but I always add on some Phoenix tears for free xpresspost.

KT, thanks for the mangobiche🙂 Violator looks nice as well, haven't smoked it yet.
Good post and reasoning.

Well, KT came through with free shipping nonetheless!

Yeah, I do like how they take feedback well and like to listen to the customers.

Any business who asks for community feedback and follows up according is a good business in my eyes. Hope they keep it up.

Back to using JJM as an example, I was more pointing out that in my experience (which with JJM has been quite vast) their $99 oz are usually a bit better than what I've gotten from KT, so KT using it as an argument that their $99oz are *better* than the competition isn't true. I'm not saying they're bad, if anything they're on par with what some offer in that price range, maybe better than a few.

KT has been good to me with my 2 orders, I'll keep an eye on the developments and who knows, maybe I'll be back when my pre-legalization stash runs dry lol.

BurgerNFries wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:03 pm Yeah, I do like how they take feedback well and like to listen to the customers.

Any business who asks for community feedback and follows up according is a good business in my eyes. Hope they keep it up.

Back to using JJM as an example, I was more pointing out that in my experience (which with JJM has been quite vast) their $99 oz are usually a bit better than what I've gotten from KT, so KT using it as an argument that their $99oz are *better* than the competition isn't true. I'm not saying they're bad, if anything they're on par with what some offer in that price range, maybe better than a few.

KT has been good to me with my 2 orders, I'll keep an eye on the developments and who knows, maybe I'll be back when my pre-legalization stash runs dry lol.
Hope to always use the feed back and adjust accordingly! As long as it makes sense for everyone.

I would never say that our $99 oz is better as an argument. I can't comment on what others are selling for that price, as I have not tried them and that's simply not my style. I did what I could here to let the members make their own decision. Got a little bit of all of our products in their hands to make the decision for themselves. I also did say that some of the products that we sell for $99 is being sold by others for more, that's a fact. Again, I have stocked their shelves and have seen what they listed the same products for. From the market research that I have done, I have also found that we have a fair amount of $99 options, compared to other MoMs.

I have been really looking at this situation with the shipping cost.

As far as the "free gifts" we offer and hat they cost... Some cost more than others. Some do cost around the $9 mark for the free $9.95 option and over $20 for the $29.95 options. Some customers really like the free gifts and some would obviously rather the cheaper overall cost of the Cannabis Product. The best ones are the ones that didn't really read about the free gift or gifts but still receive them. They always say thanks and wasn't expecting the extra shwag from us.

Again, new fairly new to the scene and trying to be a bit different.

Keep the suggestions coming. It seems you guys and gals have been around the MoM situation for a while. I know we can learn something being a part of this community.

King Tuts wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:49 pm
BurgerNFries wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:03 pm
I would never say that our $99 oz is better as an argument. I can't comment on what others are selling for that price, as I have not tried them and that's simply not my style. I did what I could here to let the members make their own decision. Got a little bit of all of our products in their hands to make the decision for themselves. I also did say that some of the products that we sell for $99 is being sold by others for more, that's a fact.
I misunderstood you there, sorry. I thought you were comparing your product to others, my mistake.

I'm just being critical, it's just my opinion and I'm only one person, lol. No need to listen to me, I can't speak for everyone, but if some my opinions make sense to you then that's great too.

Been smoking the Mangobiche with my brother all night, cleaned the barn lol. Nice sativa.

Have a great night!

BurgerNFries wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:22 am
King Tuts wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:49 pm
BurgerNFries wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:03 pm
I would never say that our $99 oz is better as an argument. I can't comment on what others are selling for that price, as I have not tried them and that's simply not my style. I did what I could here to let the members make their own decision. Got a little bit of all of our products in their hands to make the decision for themselves. I also did say that some of the products that we sell for $99 is being sold by others for more, that's a fact.
I misunderstood you there, sorry. I thought you were comparing your product to others, my mistake.

I'm just being critical, it's just my opinion and I'm only one person, lol. No need to listen to me, I can't speak for everyone, but if some my opinions make sense to you then that's great too.

Been smoking the Mangobiche with my brother all night, cleaned the barn lol. Nice sativa.

Have a great night!
I listen to everyone! Can I make everyone happy? I dunno but I'll do my best!

You should be critical, it's conversation and we should always say what we feel. I'm glad you mentioned it, instead of just thinking it. Glad you like the Mangobiche (I heard one dude call it Mango Beeshay but I'm sure it's Mango Beesh lol). That and the Cherry Pie have had some great reviews!

BTW. I'm making a change to my Shipping Policy, due to the fact that people like yourself have an opinion. Again, if you guys didn't say it and just felt it, I would not be able to adjust as we go, I would just lose customers and not learn. Give us a few more months in the game here to fine tune a few things. Listen, learn, ask questions and adjust accordingly. There's lots of competition and more coming. Were going to have to do business like that to stay afloat and maybe make a profit one day :)