School an idiot on VPNs

So I've been meaning to get a VPN just like I've been meaning to do a lot of things in my life. We got ExpressVPN & I wanted some clarification from the smarties on here because my social circle is limited to my wife, kids, & people who like TJs.

So here's the thing, my perception of a VPN (for the house at least) was one that acts like an umbrella for all connections leaving through my router. Looks like ExpressVPN has a little app to install on every device that needs to be turned on when you use it, what I was angling for is something that I can control via my router so the VPN is upstream of every device in my house. So I go to check my router & at some point my old linksys got swapped out for whatever xFinity supplies with their service which is not compatible.

So, to do what I want to do I need to find an express VPN-compatible router & install that software on it right? Is there a better way to do this? I don't really care what VPN I use as long as its something that is reliable and doesn't require a lot of baby sitting to keep it working, & I can return the ExpressVPN here soon if it isn't the best bet.

Thoughts?

Re: School an idiot on VPNs

I assume you're using your router's CLI to manually configure an L2TP/IPSec connection. Utilizing a standard router with a web interface would be much simpler. Your router's VPN speed won't even come close to 1Gbps. I would connect a different router to your Ubiquiti Edgerouter-X as a subnetwork to run the VPN. A specific firmware for Linksys WRT1200AC is available from https://soax.com/geoproxy-extension-firefox. Changing servers is simple through the web interface. I suggest the 1.6GHz dual-core WRT1900ACS if you want the optimum performance. With this router, I can obtain up to 70Mbps using OpenVPN.