Just started... AAAA vs AAA.. How do you tell? And the price difference???

Hey guys, I just started smoking and ordering online... I have shopped around a couple of websites and can't help but notice there is a huge discrepancy between the pricing of different strains and grades... What determines a strain to be more expensive than an other??? Is there a different grade to the same strain?? like AAA Death BUbba vs AAAA Death Bubba??

Much appreciated.. thanks!

Re: Just started... AAAA vs AAA.. How do you tell? And the price difference???

h2osakana wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:01 pm Hey guys, I just started smoking and ordering online... I have shopped around a couple of websites and can't help but notice there is a huge discrepancy between the pricing of different strains and grades... What determines a strain to be more expensive than an other??? Is there a different grade to the same strain?? like AAA Death BUbba vs AAAA Death Bubba??

Long-time smoker here who started buying from Moms around a couple of years ago.

Typically the better the smell, appearance/texture, burn and taste the better the grade which raises the price, however, what I have noticed is that the "A" rating system is fairly subjective between different MOMs. I just saw a post from MOMpics (I won't name the MOM here) and the product was rated AAAA by the MOM, but the bud was mostly popcorn buds (which could likely be rated AA or AAA by a different MOM). I have bought a zip of AAAA weed from one MOM for $220 that was entirely worse than a zip of AAA weed from another MOM for $140 which ticked me off. I've also purchased AAAA rated weed that was AAA in my mind but not be mad because I only paid $150 on sale.

So what I did was I read up on reviews and made small purchases from each MOM (welcome codes make this an easier purchase to make) that I was curious about to get an understanding of how they grade their product and made notes. I tend to rate my purchase according to the price I paid. The $150 ounce I was talking about earlier were solid trips (AAA) that were well worth the asking price, so I look at it that way, and I was content, and would purchase from them again knowing what I will get.

Captain-Canucklehead wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:20 pm
h2osakana wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:01 pm Hey guys, I just started smoking and ordering online... I have shopped around a couple of websites and can't help but notice there is a huge discrepancy between the pricing of different strains and grades... What determines a strain to be more expensive than an other??? Is there a different grade to the same strain?? like AAA Death BUbba vs AAAA Death Bubba??

Long-time smoker here who started buying from Moms around a couple of years ago.

Typically the better the smell, appearance/texture, burn and taste the better the grade which raises the price, however, what I have noticed is that the "A" rating system is fairly subjective between different MOMs. I just saw a post from MOMpics (I won't name the MOM here) and the product was rated AAAA by the MOM, but the bud was mostly popcorn buds (which could likely be rated AA or AAA by a different MOM). I have bought a zip of AAAA weed from one MOM for $220 that was entirely worse than a zip of AAA weed from another MOM for $140 which ticked me off. I've also purchased AAAA rated weed that was AAA in my mind but not be mad because I only paid $150 on sale.

So what I did was I read up on reviews and made small purchases from each MOM (welcome codes make this an easier purchase to make) that I was curious about to get an understanding of how they grade their product and made notes. I tend to rate my purchase according to the price I paid. The $150 ounce I was talking about earlier were solid trips (AAA) that were well worth the asking price, so I look at it that way, and I was content, and would purchase from them again knowing what I will get.
It's true that the rating system is subjective between different MOMs. Thanks for the tip, Cap!

Thanks so much! So i guess there really isn't any alternative but to try things out myself from different MOM and make that judgement. Would you say it's worth the money to go for AAAA rather than AAA? Is this a huge personal preference thing?

Personal preference really. Some people are happy smoking AA or AAA weed, especially if it's potent. So if potency is your only goal, and don't mind smoking weed that lacks flavour, smell or maybe has small buds, then buying AAAA might not be the most cost effective way to purchase. You might be happier buying AA or AAA grade stuff for less money. But say your goal is a pleasurable smoking/vaping experience where you really want to take in the smell, taste, feel etc., then you might be unhappy with anything less than AAAA.

It's kind of like this, what would you rather have? Lucky Lager? Or a craft beer from a micro brewery? Both will get you buzzed (granted, buying AA grade you can get a dud more often - something to consider), but it's a completely different experience, and a different effect on your wallet. Read the reviews here, and don't be afraid to reach out to MOMs and ask questions. If you tell them your budget and what you want, they likely will be able to recommend something you like.

I need to mentally note this one. Thanks for sharing.

Captain-Canucklehead wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:17 pm Personal preference really. Some people are happy smoking AA or AAA weed, especially if it's potent. So if potency is your only goal, and don't mind smoking weed that lacks flavour, smell or maybe has small buds, then buying AAAA might not be the most cost effective way to purchase. You might be happier buying AA or AAA grade stuff for less money. But say your goal is a pleasurable smoking/vaping experience where you really want to take in the smell, taste, feel etc., then you might be unhappy with anything less than AAAA.

It's kind of like this, what would you rather have? Lucky Lager? Or a craft beer from a micro brewery? Both will get you buzzed (granted, buying AA grade you can get a dud more often - something to consider), but it's a completely different experience, and a different effect on your wallet. Read the reviews here, and don't be afraid to reach out to MOMs and ask questions. If you tell them your budget and what you want, they likely will be able to recommend something you like.
Thanks so much!! You're a hero lol

Frankly I go by the MOMpics and reviews on reddit (and now, here). Lots of stuff out there that's advertised AAAA that is in fact AAA or even lower, but who cares about the rating from some other smoker? MJ affects everyone differently after all. For me, AAAA has to be just about perfect, and it's usually bloody expensive for that quality. I've hardly ever had true AAAA IMO. Some of the FC GSC from back in the day? It's too much to spend for everyday though.

That said, I just five minutes ago ordered (and they say it's already shipped hmmm) 2oz of HGA's Death Chocolate Mousse - I like everything I've ever ordered from HGA going back years, and their Red Congo and Death Mint Cookies and Super Lemon Haze are all aces in terms of smell, potency, and taste. Always excellent in every respect but bud size (smaller buds). And frankly I prefer smaller buds, easier to handle and less stem. But without a coupon, always expensive. Recommended regardless. Good luck!